The Master of Science with a major in Information Science (MS-IS) is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed for them to function as information professionals in a variety of information agencies, including internet service providers, web search portals, information processing services, or electronic publishing. Students earning this degree will be prepared for a wide range of careers, such as information broker, database analyst, chief information officer, user experience designer, information architect, knowledge manager, system librarian, health informatics specialist, information security analyst, web developer/web content manager, and information systems specialist. Students have the option of choosing from five (5) concentrations within the MS-IS Major.
All students enrolled in the MS-IS must complete the following course work:
Required Core Courses (9 hours)
- INFO 5000: Information and Knowledge Professions
- INFO 5200: Information Organization
- INFO 5600: Information Access and Knowledge Inquiry
A grade of B or higher must be earned in all 3 core courses.
Guided Electives and General Electives (27 hours)
- Completion of nine (9) courses from the list of guided electives and general electives. See the list of electives under the following program of study and concentrations linked below:
- Archival Studies & Imaging Technology
- Health Informatics
- Information Organization
- Information Systems
- Knowledge Management
Completion of INFO 5090 Practicum (3 hours)
The Practicum can be waived if a student has at least six (6) months of relevant professional experience. (Visit the Practium Page for practicum requirements and practicum waiver request information).
Visit the Capstone page for more information.
* School Librarian Certification students should see the respective School Librarian Certificate program pages for specific requirements, as their options differ from other programs.
Further information concerning these requirements may be obtained by contacting the College of Information Advising Team by email at email@example.com or by phone at 940-565-2445.