The Master of Science with a major in information science (MS-IS) is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed for them to function as information professionals in a variety of information agencies, including internet service providers, web search portals, information processing services, or electronic publishing. Students earning this degree will be prepared for a wide range of careers, such as information broker, database analyst, chief information officer, user experience designer, information architect, knowledge manager, system librarian, health informatics specialist, information security analyst, web developer/web content manager, and information systems specialist.
Students enrolled in the MS-IS must complete the following required course work:
Required Courses (9 hours)
- INFO 5000: Information and Knowledge Professions
- INFO 5200: Information Organization
- INFO 5600: Information Access and Knowledge Inquiry
A grade of B or higher must be earned in all core courses.
- Completion of at least two of the following major prescribed courses (6 hours) with the guidance of their academic advisor:
- INFO 5305: System Analysis and Design
- INFO 5306: Project Management for Information Systems
- INFO 5707: Data Modeling for Information Professionals
- INFO 5814: Web Content Development and Maintenance
- Computer Programming Course or Equivalent
- Completion of at least four courses (12 hours) from the following program of study with the guidance of their academic advisor:
- Digital Image Management
- Health Informatics Specialist
- Information Organization
- Information Systems
- General Program of Study
Additional three elective courses (9 hours) selected from the catalog or transferred from other programs with the approval of their academic advisor.
School Library Certification students should see the respective program pages for specific requirements, as their options will vary from other programs.
Further information concerning these requirements may be obtained through the department.