Recognizing that each student is unique, with different interests and career goals, each application is reviewed on its own merit. Because the interdisciplinary nature of the profession attracts people with diverse backgrounds, students are encouraged to discuss their interests and concerns with an advisor from the department. Students must be admitted to the university in order to be accepted into the BSIS program.
To enroll in more than 6 hours of courses in the department, students must have the following:
- At least sophomore standing
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
For graduation, candidates to the Bachelor of Science in Information Science must meet the following requirements:
- A student must have completed a minimum of 120 semester hours, of which 42 must be upper level.
- See University Core Curriculum Requirements in the Academics section of this catalog for university Core Curriculum requirements.
BSIS Major Requirements
- At least 33 hours including 18 hours of required courses in one of the program concentrations, and at least 15 additional hours selected with the approval of the department.
- Cross Functional - 45 hours may be completed or transferred from related areas and programs as approved by the department. Students must contact an advisor in the information science program to determine the 45 hours of course work needed to complete the cross functional area of the degree.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.5 is required on all courses counted toward the major.
BSIS Minor Requirements (for non-Information Science majors)
A minor in one of the four areas listed below requires a total of 18 semester hours including 6 hours as seminars, independent study or field work. The minors are available to students from other majors—those not majoring in Information Science.
Minor in Information Science & Knowledge Organization
Provides graduates with the necessary skills and competencies associated with the collection, classification, storage, retrieval, manipulation, packaging and dissemination of information. It prepares graduates to work with information in a variety of formats and in various organizational settings.
Minor in Project & Knowledge Management
Provides graduates with the knowledge and the understanding of the convergence of project management and knowledge management including the use of associated tools and technologies. It prepares them to assume project management responsibilities including project initiation, planning, scheduling, implementation, knowledge retention and knowledge transfer.
Minor in Information Management & Health Informatics
Provides graduates with the skills and competencies needed to work in healthcare environments and to work with health information such as patient information, medical records, medical imaging and clinical research data. Students in the program will explore how to effectively use technology to improve the efficiency and quality of healthcare including reducing cost, increasing patient access and improving diagnosis and treatment.
Minor in Digital Content & Information Systems
Provides graduates with practical knowledge needed to manage the increasingly growing volume of digital information. Graduates will have a better understanding of the tools and technologies needed to manage large amount of data and complex information systems. Students enrolled in the program will have a better understanding of human computer interaction issues and interfaces.
Minor in Data Science
Data Science is an emerging field involving systematic and methodological approach to managing and manipulating large data sets. The concentration in Data Science is designed to help graduates gain skills and experiences in designing, implementing and transforming data sets into actionable knowledge. IT provides them with the knowledge and competencies needed to work with analytic tools and technologies.
For UNT enrollment information, click here.
If you would like to contact us about our BSIS concentrations, or would like any additional information about our program, please visit our Contact Information page.