The Master of Science with a major in Library Science (MLS) is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to function as information professionals in a variety of libraries, including public libraries, academic libraries, or special libraries maintained by government agencies, corporations, law firms, medical centers, or museums. Students earning this degree will be prepared for a wide range of careers, such as reference librarian, technical services librarian, youth and children's librarian, archivist/special collections librarian, electronic resources librarian, cataloging/metadata librarian, instructional services librarian, law/legal librarian, digital/data curation librarian, etc. Students can choose from seven Programs of Study within the LS Major.
Students enrolled in the MLS must complete the following required course work:
Required Courses (9 hours)
- INFO 5000: Information and Knowledge Professions
- INFO 5200: Information Organization
- INFO 5600: Information Access and Knowledge Inquiry
A grade of B or higher must be earned in all 3 core courses.
- Completion of at least two of the following major prescribed courses (6 hours) with the guidance of their academic advisor:
- INFO 5080: Research Methods and Analysis
- INFO 5210: Organization and Control of Information Resources I
- INFO 5223: Metadata and Networked Information Organization/Retrieval
- INFO 5300: Management of Information Agencies
- INFO 5400: Information Resources Development
- Completion of at least four courses (12 hours) from the following programs of study with the guidance of their academic advisor:
- Additional three elective courses (9 hours) selected from the catalog or transferred from other programs with the approval of their academic advisor.
*School Library Certification students should see the respective program pages for specific requirements, as their options may differ from other programs.
Further information concerning these requirements may be obtained by contacting the COI Advising Team by email at email@example.com or by phone at 940-565-2445.