Blackboard Learn & Canvas Learning Management Systems
All Learning Management Systems, LMS, have minimum technical requirements. You may be required to install additional software or make changes to settings on your machine in order to use the Blackboard Learn or Canvas learning management systems. With Blackboard Learn, you may access resources for configuring your computer from the Help Desk tab within Blackboard Learn upon logging in with valid UNT credentials, your EUID and password.
Our degree program will help you become proficient in the use of computer-based tools and resources that are important to information work of all kinds. In order to participate, however, you must have a minimum level of connectivity and computing capabilities outside the department.
Internet connectivity is required for many of our courses that are delivered via the Blackboard Learn or Canvas learning management systems, for remote access to the UNT Libraries and other resources, for searching the world wide web for class assignments, and for email and conferencing. If you do not already have internet access at home or work, you should subscribe to a commercial internet service provider, ISP.
Be sure the ISP you choose provides a local telephone number and does not charge by the minute. For students pursuing the majority of their program online, we highly recommend broadband, digital subscriber line, DSL, fiber optic service, FIOS, or cable modem service for the fastest possible connections.
As the majority of all computer equipment at UNT is PC-based, we recommend that you purchase hardware that is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP, or higher, operating system.
We recommend a current model computer (less than two years old) with at least the following hardware base:
- 3GHz, or faster, processor
- 8 GB RAM
- Wireless internet conectivity
- USB thumb drive (for transferring data from UNT machines)
The base recommended software includes:
- Microsoft Windows 10 or newer
- Microsoft Office 2016, provided at no additional cost to currently enrolled students
- Current versions of multiple Internet browsers may be necessary in order to better experience all UNT and LIS resources:
- A web editing tool such as Notepad++, KompoZer, or Dreamweaver
- Adobe Acrobat for PDF document creation and editing
IT Help Desk
To verify that your web browser is compatible with Blackboard Learn or Canvas, you can contact the University IT Help Desk website, Sage Hall, Room 330D, 940-565-2324, email@example.com. Note that some courses require additional software, usually free browser plug-ins.
We also highly recommend the use of antivirus software on your system to prevent against the latest computer virus and Internet worm threats. Listed below are a few of the applications that provide solutions to keep your system updated with the latest virus signatures on a monthly, weekly or daily basis.
- McAfee VirusScan downloadable free for currently enrolled students. Go to the University IT Help Desk website and take the Technology Tour. Stop #6 on the tech tour provides links to download the software.
- Symantec’s Norton AntiVirus
- F-Secure Anti-Virus
For More Information
You may also review the current computer hardware and software offerings available in the College of Information Student Computer Lab. The UNT Adaptive and Learning Lab, for students who benefit from special accommodations, is available in Sage Hall, Room 330, 940-565-2324, firstname.lastname@example.org.