Welcome to the Department of Information Science at UNT
If you're a prospective student and ready to apply, select one of the following options that best describes your status.
The Department of Information Science offers nationally recognized programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. We offer:
- The Bachelor of Science in Information Science that is ranked as one of the best online programs in Information Technology, according to Bestcolleges.com.
- The Bachelor of Science in Data Science
- The Master of Science in Library Science or Information Science program, accredited by the American Library Association and ranked in the Top 20 in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report
- The Master of Science in Data Science
- The School Librarian Certificate, currently ranked 10th in the nation by the U.S. News & World Report
- The Medical Informatics program, ranked seventh in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- The nation’s largest interdisciplinary PhD program in Information Science
Degree and Non-degree Programs
The Bachelor of Science in Information Science at the University of North Texas is designed to equip graduates with the knowledge needed to build competencies in important and emerging areas such as information organization, information architecture, information seeking and use, health informatics, knowledge management, digital content and digital curation, and information systems.
The Bachelor of Science in Data Science at the University of North Texas is designed to meet the rising demand for professionals in data management, big data, and data analytics fields. The program will prepare students for careers in data science with a broad knowledge of the tools, techniques, and methods needed to analyze and work with data and information to help drive effective decisions and strategy in organizations.
The master's degree is offered completely online, in a residential format in Denton, and in an off-campus format in Houston. The master's program prepares information professionals for work in a variety of roles and application settings, including various information agencies and all types of libraries. In addition, the program prepares at a master's level individuals who wish to pursue study in the theoretical development of information science.
The Master of Science in Data Science is designed to meet the rising demand for highly skilled data science and data analytics professionals. The UNT program prepares students for careers in data science and analytics with a broad knowledge of the required tools, techniques, and methods. The program focuses on relevant areas including statistical analysis, natural language processing, computational linguistics, information retrieval, information visualization, social network analysis, text analytics and data mining.
The University of North Texas Information Science Ph.D. Program responds to the varied and changing needs of an information age, and to the increasing recognition of the central role of information and information technologies in individual, social, economic and cultural affairs. Graduates of the program are prepared to contribute to the advancement and evolution of the information society in a variety of roles and settings as administrators, researchers and educators.
The department also offers certificate—non-degree—programs.
- School Librarian Certification
- Certificate of Advanced Study offered in Rural Library Management
- Graduate Academic Certificates are offered in the following areas:
- Advanced Management in Libraries and Information Agencies
- Archival Management
- Digital Content Management
- Digital Curation and Data Management
- Leadership in Professional Development in Technology for Schools
- Rural Library Management
- Youth Services in Libraries & Information Agencies