The general program of study is intended to prepare graduates to succeed in a wide range of library and information science positions. In addition to the three core courses, students pursuing the Master of Science in Library or Information Science with School Librarian Certification must also take one elective course and the School Librarian Certificate courses to complete 36 credit hours. To become a school librarian, you must complete our approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP). To include the School Librarian Certificate, the course selection is predetermined. Other requirements for the School Librarian Certificate are found on the certification pages, please see the School Librarian Certificate page for more information.
Note: If you are applying for the MS and School Librarian Certification, you must choose your major (Library Science or Information Science), and in the Educational Background portion of the ApplyTexas application, indicate School Librarian Certification as an Area of Interest. Contact the COI Advising Office at email@example.com or 940-565-2445, should you have any questions.
- Total coursework is 36 credit hours—12 courses.
- Add three credit hours of practicum, INFO 5090.999/998, which must be completed. This practicum experience cannot be waived for the School Librarian Certification program.
- Completion of the Capstone Experience
School Librarian Certification varies from state to state but completion of the required sequence of courses listed below has been acceptable to meet the competencies required in all states.
In Texas, the requirement to work as a School Librarian includes the following:
- Two years as an Early Childhood -12th grade classroom teacher.
- A Master’s degree.
- Completion of an approved program in librarianship (courses must be no more than five years old when application is made for School Librarian Certification).
- Passing score on the TExES exam for School Librarianship (exam administered by the state).
|Category||# of Courses||# of Hours|
Master’s Required Core Courses - A grade of B or higher must be earned in all three core courses.
INFO 5000 - Information and Knowledge Professions
3 hours each
Any graduate course of your choice. Courses outside the program must be approved by an advisor.
Certification Courses in Required Sequence
A grade of B or better in all courses is required for certification. Courses include the following:
If you would like any additional information about our program, please see our contact Information page.