The School Librarian Certificate program can also be completed with the Master of Science in Library Science or Information Science degree program. Students pursuing the M.S. with School Librarian Certification degree program pursue the general program of study within their chosen major (Library Science or Information Science). The general program of study is intended to prepare graduates to succeed in a wide range of library and information science positions.
In addition to the three core courses required for the M.S. degree, students pursuing the M.S. in Library or Information Science with School Librarian Certification must also take one elective course and the School Librarian Certificate courses to complete 39 credit hours of coursework, which includes the practicum. To become a school librarian, you must complete our approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP). To include the School Librarian Certificate, the course selection is predetermined. Other requirements for the School Librarian Certificate are found on the certification pages, therefore please visit the School Librarian Certificate page for more information.
Note: If you are applying for the M.S. and School Librarian Certification, you must choose your major (Library Science or Information Science), and in the Educational Background portion of the ApplyTexas application, indicate "School Librarian Certification" as the Area of Interest. Contact the COI Advising Office at email@example.com or 940-565-2445, should you have any questions.
- Total coursework is 39 credit hours—13 courses. This includes three credit hours of Practicum - INFO 5090, which must be completed. This practicum experience cannot be waived for the School Librarian Certification program.
- Completion of the Capstone Experience
School Librarian Certification varies from state to state but completion of the required sequence of courses listed below has been acceptable to meet the competencies required in all states.
- If you are an out-of-state student, you will also complete a Practicum experience. The state of Texas does not approve practicum sites outside of the state. Out-of-state students cannot be certified in Texas but should check with their own state regarding certification expectations. This resource also lists: School Library Certification by State .
In Texas, the requirement to work as a School Librarian includes the following:
- Two years as an Early Childhood -12th grade classroom teacher.
- A Master’s degree.
- Completion of an approved program in librarianship (courses must be no more than five years old when application is made for School Librarian Certification).
- Passing score on the TExES exam for School Librarianship (exam administered by the state).
|Category||# of Courses||# of credit Hours|
Master's Required Core Courses - A grade of B or higher must be earned in all three core courses.
INFO 5000 - Information and Knowledge Professions
9 ( 3 credit hours each)
Any graduate course of your choice. Courses outside the program must be approved by an advisor.
Certification Courses in Required Sequence
A grade of B or better in all courses is required for certification. Courses include the following:
9. INFO 5090.999/.993 PRACTICUM (5090.998 for out-of-state-students)
If you would like any additional information about our program, please contact the COI Advising Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 940-565-2445.