Students completing the M.S. in Library Science or Information Science degree program must complete a Practicum, unless waived (see Practicum waiver page for more information). The practicum experience allows students to gain professional experience in the information science field. Students will register for the practicum course (INFO 5090) which is in addition to the 36 credit hours of coursework required for the Information Science or Library Science MS degrees. The practicum course is part of the 36 hours of coursework for the Data Science MS.
INFO 5090.001 is the practicum requirement for all Library and Information Science M.S. program students (except School Library Certification and Health Informatics). School Library Certification students should visit the SLC practicum page for information on how to fulfill their specific practicum requirements. Please contact your advisor if you are unsure about your concentration's practicum/field experience requirement.
NOTE: Students pursuing the concentrations listed below will register for a different practicum:
- INFO 5090.300, School Library Certification students who are also pursuing an M.S. in Library or Information Science.
- INFO 5090.100, Health Science Libraries
Prior to registering for the practicum course, students in the Library Science and Information Science majors must have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours of INFO courses and submitted an online practicum application form.
- Practicum is 120 clock hours for Library Science and Information Science students in the general program and other concentrations (with the exception of Health Informatics).
- Practicum is 180 clock hours for Health Informatics.
- Duties should be progressively more professional in nature as determined by the site supervisor.
- Days and hours to be mutually agreed upon by student and site supervisor.
- The supervisor will convey a pass/fail grade to the practicum director and will complete an evaluation form about the student.
Beginning Semester Requirements
- Check into the Canvas site to read all assignment requirements.
- List objectives for the practicum. This will be shared with the Supervisor and changes made as necessary. It will then be posted through the Canvas course as stated in the course.
- Be certain the site supervisor has checked into the Canvas course.
- Other assignments as stated in the course syllabus, including a personal statement and description of the practicum site.
End of Semester Requirements
- Prepare a paper and post it as directed in the online course. It should include a description of the practicum site and the work performed. The student should reflect on what was learned and how it is of benefit professionally.
- Complete an online course evaluation form.
- Ensure the site supervisor completes the online evaluation form prior to the end of the semester.
Students must complete the online application to be placed in a site and it must be approved by the site supervisor, advisor, and practicum director prior to registration. Students are advised to begin the process early in the semester prior to the semester in which they do practicum. Waiting until the last minute may result in delaying final placement and registration for a semester.
For general questions related to Practicum requirements, please contact the CI Advising office at firstname.lastname@example.org