The Department of Information Sciences at UNT has a wide range of potential sites from which students can obtain their internship/field work experience. This includes academic health sciences centers, hospitals, Area Health Education Centers (AHECs), health associations, and consumer health libraries, among others. Opportunities may exist in other health related environments, and with the approval of the health informatics faculty advisor, the student can meet the internship/field work experience requirement at these additional sites.
The internship/field work experience should be beneficial to both the student and the institution providing the internship. The intern will:
- Expand his/her understanding of a health related environment.
- Gain practical experience in applying theory and method while working with a health informatics team.
- Gain experience in planning, organizing, implementing, evaluating and documenting a significant project.
- Develop professional relationships.
Students who meet the practicum waiver requirements are encouraged to enroll in the Health Informatics Internship/Field Work Experience in order to enhance their previous work experience.
Requirements of the Internship
- Minimum of 180 hours. These hours are to be arranged between the student, site supervisor and faculty advisor. (Note: more hours are required in the health informatics internship/field work experience than in the general practicum.)
The student may or may not be paid for his/her internship/field work experience hours. The Department of Information Science encourages internship/field work experience sites to compensate students for their work, however this decision is made at the discretion of the internship/field work experience site.
- Log of activities. The student will keep a diary of his/her internship/field work experience. This may be in a narrative or outline form.
- Project. The site supervisor and the student will select a project for the student to complete within the term of the internship/field work experience. Note: The student may have additional duties.
- Other. Generally, the above requirements apply to all internships. In special cases, the student may be assigned additional requirements. These additional requirements must be agreed upon by the student, site supervisor and faculty advisor.
- Health Informatics Internship/Field Work Experience Form. Complete the Health Informatics Internship/Field Work Experience Form with the advice and collaboration of the site supervisor and the Health Informatics faculty advisor. In this form, the student will list the objectives of the internship/field work experience, project descriptions, as well as other specifications as determined by the faculty advisor, the site supervisor, and the student. The form will be signed and dated by the student, site supervisor and faculty advisor. It must be submitted to the Health Informatics faculty advisor within the first two weeks of the internship.
- Evaluation of Site Form. At the conclusion of the internship/field work experience, the student must complete the Evaluation of Site Form.
- Internship/Field Experience Application
- Internship/Field Experience Site Evaluation
- Internship/Field Experience Student Performance Evaluation