Master of Science (General Program of Study) with School Library Certification
The general program of study is intended to prepare graduates to succeed in a wide range of library and information science positions. In addition to the three core courses, the student must take one elective course and the School Library Certification courses to complete 36 credit hours. To include the School Library Certification, the course selection is predetermined. Other requirements for School Library Certification are found on the certification pages, please see the School Library Certification page for more information.
Note: If you are applying for school library certification along with applying for the Master's degree program, be sure to apply as Pre-Teacher/Professional Certification: Grad Non-Degree. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 940/565-2445 if you have any questions.
- Total coursework is 36 credit hours (12 courses).
- Add three credit hours of practicum, INFO 5090.999/998 which must be completed. This practicum experience cannot be waived for the School Library Certification program.
- During the final semester before graduation, apply for, take and pass the the Comprehensive examination, OR complete the two Advanced Seminar courses (INFO 5970 & INFO 5980) to meet the End of Program requirement.
School Library Certification varies from state to state but completion of the required sequence of courses listed below has been acceptable to meet the competencies required in all states.
In Texas, the requirement to work as a School Librarian includes:
- Two years as an Early Childhood-12th grade classroom teacher.
- A Master’s degree.
- Completion of an approved program in librarianship (courses must be no more than five years old when application is made for School Library Certification).
- Passing score on the TExES exam for School Librarianship (exam administered by the state).
|Category||# of Courses||# of Hours|
Master’s Required Core Courses
|INFO 5000 - Introduction to the Information Profession
INFO 5200 - Introduction to Information Organization
INFO 5600 - Introduction to Information and Access Retrieval
3 hours each
Any graduate course of your choice. Courses outside the program must be approved by an adivisor.
Certification Courses in Recommended Sequence
A grade of B or better in all courses is required for certification.
- INFO 5090.999 Practicum (5090.998 for out of state)
Pre or Co-requisite: INFO 5340. This course does not count as credit hours towards your masters degree.
If you would like any additional information about our program, please see our Contact Information page.